So, your brakes are squeaking. What, at first, is an annoyance can become a real problem in a short amount of time. When it comes time to finally replace parts and seek White Bear Lake brake service for your vehicle, it is important to realize that not all parts are created equal. Many car repair shops may not explain the difference in parts quality. Brakes and rotors are a prime example of getting what you pay for. The price of labor for replacing the brakes will cost you the same amount, whether you put on the cheapest or most expensive parts that are offered. So what is the difference in the pads? There are basically 2 major types of brake pads- Ceramic and Semi-Metallic. There are pro’s and con’s for each.
1. Last longer than semi-metallic.
2. Quieter-not as much squeaking.
3. Much less brake dust, less black residue on your wheels. However, they are more expensive and are not recommended for heavy towing.
1. Better for heavy hauling/towing
2. They are less expensive than ceramic pads.
3. Work very well in cold weather. However, they don’t last as long as ceramic brake pads, create much more dust which accumulates on the wheels, and are much louder.
With that being said, there are also other costs that need to be considered when replacing your brakes. It is important that the brake rotors are in good shape, with no ridges or damage on them, otherwise they will immediately tear up the new brake pads that are installed on your vehicle.
Here at Trinity Automotive, we believe it’s always a good idea to consult with your mechanic about the choices that are available for your vehicle. If your brakes are starting to make some noise or don’t seem to be performing well, then we’re ready to help! Schedule an appointment for brake service today!